Thursday 19 July 2012

L U V Madonna

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Madonna.  Love the early stuff, not so keen on the later stuff overall.  Have been really quite disappointed with what I've heard of the latest stuff.  Actually, its less about what i've heard, more about what i've seen.  The whole LUV thing?  thought it looked desperate and way too needy.  and really.  she's Madonna. 

Madonna. 

Why the desperate when you're actually Madonna?

So when I was offered a ticket to the gig at Hyde Park on Tuesday, I wasnt as wildly excited as I'd maybe have been in the past.  Clearly I'm an idiot.  It was an amazing gig.  She looked amazing, sounded amazing, and had amazing staging.  (yes yes, i'm overusing the A word).  And the new stuff?  not desperate in any way. 
not that you'd know it from reading articles like this one: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/cristinaodone/100171544/madonna-stop-embarrassing-yourself/  written by someone who didn't even see the show.  Yes, she was on stage doing sexy, and risque, and being Madonna.  and yes, she's not a teenager anymore.  But you know what, if it wasn't for the fact that it's not "becoming of a woman of her age" to behave in such a way, no-one would be batting an eyelid.  If it was Gaga, or any other female artist in their twenties on stage doing what Madonna's doing, no-one would be outraged, or slating the performance.

This article: http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/07/19/smug-criticisms-of-madonna-and-endless-gaga-comparisons-are-a-victory-for-ageism-and-misogyny/ sums up the whole thing way better than I do.
And as an aside, I'm off to buy the new album - what I heard at the gig made me want to hear more!

No comments:

Post a Comment